Wednesday, October 26, 2016

My Nails and My Book Review - A Killer Closet by Paula Paul

**NetGalley**


Title: A Killer Closet
Series: N/A
Author: Paula Paul

Goodreads Summary: In a fashionably cozy short mystery novel, Paula Paul introduces a tenacious heroine who leaves big-city life behind and returns to picturesque Santa Fe, New Mexico—where murder lands on her doorstep.

Irene Seligman loves the warmth and beauty of her Southwest hometown, but only one thing could make her quit her prestigious job as an assistant district attorney in Manhattan to return there: the guilt applied by her demanding mother, Adelle. After Adelle’s most recent husband dies, leaving her with nothing, Irene decides to take a break from prosecuting criminals to move back to Santa Fe and open an upscale consignment store. With Irene’s determination and her mother’s eye for haute couture, they’re sure to make a killing.

But on the day of the grand opening, Irene discovers the body of one of Adelle’s friends in her storeroom. And although the intrigue causes business to boom, when someone else from Adelle’s social circle is murdered, Irene begins to suspect her mother might be in danger too. Ever the protective daughter, Irene investigates her mother’s friends, suspicious that they’re hiding more than designer clothes in their closets. But as she gets closer to uncovering some real skeletons, Irene might not live to regret coming home again.

My Review: **I received an ARC from NetGalley**

The idea behind the mystery was really good, it just didn't feel like it was executed very well. There were many parts where I felt confused, and the ending was very muddled. The setting was very well written. I've never been to Santa Fe, but I did feel like I was back in New Mexico reading it.

My Manicure: The whole time I was reading this, all I could think about was New Mexico. So I dragged out my Winstonia Viva la Fiesta plate and got to work. The base is ILNP Interstellar because I just could not bear to remove it. I then stamped with Viva la Fiesta and Bundle Monster So Metal. The images are peppers, because when it's chile pepper season in New Mexico, you know it. All of the grocery stores have people outside roasting sacks of peppers for people. The parking lots are filled with the spicy, slightly charred scent of peppers for weeks. The other image I used is a floofy skirt. Yes, I intentionally used that spelling because poofy and fluffy just don't describe it. I can just imagine wearing one of these skirts (in bright primary colors) and dancing to Tejano music (or was that Texas?).



~Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment